Friday, May 18, 2012

Quirks.

Everyone has a quirk or two.  Even if you aren't aware of what they may be, they're there.  Some more out there (eating cocktail skewers, laundry detergent, or dating an inanimate object?) than others.   

However, as a public transportation user, I don't have the luxury of seeing people at their best or most normal.  Nope.  On trains/subways/buses/planes I am witness to these quirks EVERYDAY.  What is it about a subway that makes us all a little loco?  Are we a tad too trapped with our thoughts?  Are we simply too close to our fellow riders?  Or are we too close to ourselves for comfort?

I, of course have my own.  Upon entering a train, I will most likely scout out the bathroom...you know...just in case.  I almost NEVER use it, but what if I needed to?  What if it wasn't working and then the train stalled, trapping me there for hours? Or what if the car with the bathroom was crowded with people?  These are all things that make my mind race.

Other than that, I like to have a window seat, but I probably won't act noticeably if I cannot.  Oh, and I don't like to touch people.  AND if the person next to me is picking/biting/doing anything that I deem as bathroom behavior, I usually excuse myself as soon as possible.

Those are mine.  Here are some others:

On average, a dozen girls per subway car will cover their hands in their sweaters before hanging on to the subway pole for support. I'm not sure if it's better to touch the thing to maintain a better grip and wash your hands asap, or do this.  I sway between the two.

Every single day, dozens of people stand to exit the train 5-10 minutes before we even enter the station.  I understand the urgency, but unless you are in the center of the train car, I think there is very little point in doing this. You may save yourself 23 seconds. However, the energy expelled in this practice is so addictive and I've found myself doing it too. Follower.

On a subway one time, I witnessed one woman pressing her eyes shut while repeatedly telling herself that she was "almost there" for 12 grueling minutes until we arrived at her stop.   Also hating the idea of entrapment, I felt her pain...but moreso for her quirk than actually being trapped in a vehicle that was taking her where she wanted to go.


Last week, I watched as a young lady dressed in her fancy work garb paced the entire length of the train a good 7 times before getting to her stop (or maybe it wasn't her stop).  Back and forth she went.  Knocking into people, constantly excusing herself. It was painful to watch because I knew she was having some sort of internal struggle, but what could anyone say..."I'm sorry for your brain"?

Yesterday, I sat beside an enthralled Kindle reader and nail biter who spit his nails OUT in the direction of the train aisle.  I'm sure he didn't even realize he was doing it, but you can be sure: This  made me want to vomit.

And today a man jumped into my subway car and proceeded to lay out a small area of newspaper to rest his weary suited bum on. No he wasn't a puppy and it wasn't his litter box. He merely thought the newspaper would be less dirty than the seat.  Of course, I then spent the rest of my ride wondering if I agreed with this action and upon arriving at my destination decided that I do not.  Ink on my pants seems like a messy situation to fix...but then again this was his quirk and not mine.


Whenever I start to feel like a freak or anxious about something or another, I think it's important to look around. Really look around. Everyone's got their thing.  I'm not alone.  We're all just so consumed with our own stuff that it's hard to see...humans are quirky. All of them.

xoxo
L

1 comment:

  1. Then there are people like me who try to lick as much of the subway pole as possible.

    ReplyDelete