Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Road Trip - Days 3 and 4

RV life is extremely strange. 


Everything I need is right here with me.  I feel like a hoarder homeless person pushing my whole life around in a shopping cart, except that I have practically nothing (please beware: nothing includes a laptop, cell phone, and bathroom...mwahaha) and I'm not looking to add to it.  It's amazing how little is necessary in everyday life.  And it's amazing how having less does not ultimately equate to less fun. I mean, how could waking up in Ohio, grabbing lunch in Indiana, grilling before bed in Illinois and grabbing lunch the following day in Wisconsin be boring?  

HOW?!
I am starting to feel that a trip like this should be a pre-requisite to living in America.  It may be unrealistic, but a girl can dream.  Plus, I'm so relaxed right now for the first time in years, that I pretty much think anything is possible. Next up, ROAD TRIP TO THE MOON!!!! 

maybe?
I can only post pictures from my phone, so the quality isn't great and I'm missing tons of amazing stuff, but let's get up to speed. The night of my last blog entry, we had a cookout with turkey burgers and beans beneath the rollercoasters at Cedar Point, Ohio:


Then, we woke up and headed toward Chicago.  But first, lunch under an apple tree in Indiana:

Once in Illinois, we did what any American would do.  We went to Walmart!  We've been compiling a list of must haves and this stop was much needed. Sidenote: Illinois...it is WINDY.


Last night we ended up in the MOST amazing spot, Marseilles Illinois.  This town was unreal.  The average resident age was 68 and the Main Street was lined with stores and restaurants named after their person, i.e. Mimi's Resale Shop, A&J's Restaurant, Pam's Donuts, Mr. Hendrick's Tax service, Mr. Wong's Chinese Food (for a touch of culture).  The place was cool. We were officially charmed.

The night was spent on the water at Illini State Park. 




It was beautiful...AND I saw a raccoon.  Doubly amazing.

This morning, it was time to hit the road again.  First stop: A&J's Restaurant in town! 


A slightly grumpy, frumpy, older woman served us and although it was the quaintest darn thing I've ever witnessed, the food was...blegh. I actually read the ingredients on my syrup container and could not find one thing that resembled the word "Maple".  Seriously, it wasn't even trying to be maple syrup.  Silence fell over the group as our meal ended and our stomachs twisted and grumbled.  We made a break for it.  Gooodbye Illinios!



Right now we are headed to Minnesota by way of Wisconsin, so that's where we washed the bug juice off of our windshielf and stopped for lunch. 



Right now I think the plan is to drive as far as possible and hit up the Mall of America tomorrow morning. We actually took a brief detour just now to experience the La Crosse Bluff.  Gorgeous views:


Au revoir!
found a wisconsin license plate with my pre-marriage initials
xoxo
L

2 comments:

  1. LOOKS SO AMAZING! Can you drive back and pick me up???? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, that picture of the baked beans in a can on the grill is so ghetto-fabulous I love it. Fitting right in!

    ReplyDelete