Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy is Here!!!

Reporting from Northwest (i think?) NJ here.  Hurricane Sandy is coming in full force with wind gusts in the 20-30 mph range and light rain.  Landfall is likely to hit late tonight, and our last day in the city was supposed to be Wednesday morning, leading Jeff and I to officially leave city life early. Womp womp.

As of 7pm Tuesday, all of NYC transit (MetroNorth, LIRR, Subways, etc) had been shut down, with NJtransit following shortly behind. These closures led me to believe that if Jeff and I stay in the city for Sandy, we will undoubtedly have to move out of the apartment IN a hurricane and move into a friends apartment since no transportation will be running on or off the island. Boo. Risking power outages and major branch wreckage at home seemed more worth it than completing our month long NYC adventure.  So that's what we did. We're home! And we have company!  

My parents and their dog have since joined us seeing that they reside down the shore and whole darn place has been evacuated.  With good reason. Here is a picture of the house across the street from my parents (they set up a camera in their window).  Mind you, the hurricane hasn't even really hit yet!!!

How scary is that?! The bay has picked up so much that they now have a 100 percent unintended waterfront property. I know that my parents are really nervous for some of their most prized possessions such as baby books and photo albums, but my Mom is really just praying that the island withstands Sandy and that her house survives. Period.

Meanwhile, I'll just be here worrying the MASSIVE Red Cedar trees that are surely trying to kill me. Why are they so tall?!
Ack!



Storm pup - Rufie

Praying that Sandy doesn't lose her ish too much.  BE KIND SANDY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment