Thursday, July 5, 2012

Au Revoir to the RV lifestyle.

Saying goodbye to RV life has been surreal.  It truly was a lifestyle.



You wake up, make crummy instant coffee, drink it outside in your brand new totally-different-from-yesterday's yard, take a public shower with tree frogs (here's looking to you, Napa California!), pack up and go. To anywhere!  

On the road, I felt no anxiety, no stress, no burdens.  It was life-changing/viewpoint-changing for me, quite honestly.



I think that when you see the entire country laid out before you like that, you realize how AMAZING it is. And ripe for the taking. Yes, every state is SO different.  Yes, every person is SO different.  But, for the most part, everyone is GOOD, kind and awesome. Like, really really awesome.  

On the flip-side, I do understand why we're always so frustrated with far off states and their beliefs/what they believe is important.  We all lead completely different lives with completely different problems.  How are my problems going to effect the citizens of Thayne, Wyoming with a population of 300?  They aren't.  Why should they care?  They don't.



When speaking to one of our horse cowboys instructor guys, I mentioned how weird it would be to see the Pacific Ocean in a couple days since I felt like I'd just left the Atlantic.  His face was that of complete indifference.  To him, that sort of conversation is meaningless because he's never even SEEN an ocean.  Nor does he worry too much about making it happen.  I mean he has cattle to tend to! And horses!

Cowboy - "Biggest place I've been is Salt Lake City. Furthest I gone was Worden, Montana."

Me - "What did you think of Salt Lake?"

Cowboy - "Too many people"

Me - "Would you want to see New York City?"

Cowboy - "I'd be too afraid I'd get shot or something!"

(sidenote: I've never seen more guns or dead things than when I was on this 18 day trip while I've actually never seen one in 29 years in NYC.)

And there you have it.  Our country will never have completely similar lives with similar problems or goals.  However, I do believe a trip like this would be the best starting point for everyone.

Video recap in the video tab!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment