Sunday, July 1, 2012

Road Trippin - Day 15

San Francisco, I love you. 



Yesterday the crew and I drove further into civilization (scary). We were San Fran bound!  However, with having learned the true meaning of spaciousness on this journey, we definitely started to see what the hermits of Wyoming were talking about when they spoke of not wanting to be around people.  People and traffic are messy and hectic. I get it.

With a little luck (due to zero reservation/preparedness), we parked our house at Treasure Island RV Park right outside of Downtown San Fran.  It was nice-enough (aka- the only option) with showers, electricity and laundry.  Plus, it was close to the subway (or Bart) and we didn't plan on spending our night among the permanent residents of Treasure Island, so it was perfect.  We took the BART (Bay Area...something transport?) into the city to let the exploring begin...

Don't forget to call your Mom whilst on the road.

I tried my best to soak up the vibe of the city quickly, knowing we only had a day to meet and become friends with a lady as complex as SanFran.  Most conversations picked up on in passing seemed very friendly and laid back, chatting about their week, their dog, or their beard.  But at one point, two men left a cafe and I overheard:

"Everyone's just nicer here, man.  New York SUCKS.  Maybe I'm becoming an old man, but it's BAD there."

lol. 

After thoroughly giving our butts an up-hill exercise to remember, we stopped into The Rogue for some beer.  Or a chocolate stout, IPA, Magic Hat,  Oatmeal stout, Shakespeare, and Mocha stout to be more exact.  The beer was awesome and the atmosphere was even better.  Not too touristy and trendy. Just right.



At night we met up with two of Jeff's Seattle friends for dinner at Barbacco - an Italian tapas joint that had the most unbelievable burrata.  It felt so weird being around fancy people who didn't just shower in the parking lot of an RV park,  but somehow we managed. And we tried not to judge them.  

Ultimately, San Francisco is probably my second favorite city in the US, after New York. The people may all dress exactly the same (something you can really only coordinate in pockets of New York like Williamsburg, Brooklyn) but there is something really unique and beautiful about it.  The landscape, the townhouses, the charm, the people and the massive layer of fog sitting atop it entice me.  SF, you won me over. 

I'm sure I'll be back!



What day is it? Where am I?



We're on our way to the Redwoods right now before heading to a more beachy scene.

Til then!
Laura

1 comment:

  1. RAPID Transport.

    I adore San Fran. It's such an amazing city! Have you never been? I really thought you had (besides when we were kids!) I'm so happy you are ending your trip with such amazing places in CA! :) Love you sis!

    ReplyDelete