Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dive bar dilemma - Kate's Joint

It's a sad, sad world.  When I moved to NYC in 2005 it took me a loooong time to find my "going out" niche.  You see...I love dive bars, but not their food.  I love the feeling that I don't have to dress a certain way when I go out, but I also don't like feeling that I have to eat french fries and nachos if I choose not to starve.  See? Dilemma.

That is...until I found Kate's Joint.  This place, on the corner of Avenue B and 4th street, is the very first bar that I went to and immediately knew, "I will be back. Every week. For years."  Kate's is divey with unmatched everything, yet so comfy and cozy.  It's less gritty and gross and much more low-pro and awesome.  Also, they serve a completely vegetarian menu (and vegan, if that's your thing).  Sure, they have nachos and fries if you still want that stuff, but they also have awesome alternative options (I will have some vegan cheese pizza please!).  FINALLY, I had found a place that would allow me to drop my bags and stay a while.

Kate's Joint with the hubs - 2007
Well, I've been going for the past 6 years now and loving it.  Never has the idea that they may need to close at some point down the road crossed my mind.  NEVER.  Because if that was a possibility, I would cry.  This week I've learned that my little nightmare is coming true.  They owe a whole lotta money in rent and things are looking bleak.  But, Kate's is not going without a fight.

This Friday, they are having THIS fundraising event:

http://www.facebook.com/events/326729597388092/

And on Saturday, the hubs and I are having our very own "sit in" ALL day long (just like the good old days) starting at noon.  I'm so sad to see a true staple of my new york life bid the east village adieu and will definitely need this one last hurrah to fill the memory book!  And heck, maybe if enough people drop by and order enough drinks and hummus wraps, they can stay open forever!!!!  (I've always been a dreamer)  A girl can hope!


You can and should donate here:
www.indiegogo.com/savekatesjoint


With so many needy causes, I'm certain this will tug at your heart strings most (I'm only half-joking).  SAVE  INDEPENDENTLY OWNED EAST VILLAGE DIVE BARS!  


Thanks! 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment